Saturday, February 9, 2008

project proposal- julie

The part of my idea that’s still forming is where I can insert myself in this project. Last semester, I related to my project through poetry, accompanying texts that gave context to my photographs. This semester, I think one I can become present in these formal portraits by adding a literary element, perhaps in the style or character portrayed by the model. One thought is to do modern, symbolic, fashion-inspired interpretations of the characters in a book, such as The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner. I could really do any book, or play, but the general idea is to take the images I associate with these characters in my mind, and to translate them to film. I’m still working on the specifics, but I’d love to explore the meaning behind these fictional people.


My current plan is to shoot exclusively in black and white 4x5 film, through the monorail view camera. I hope to end up with fairly large images, maybe 11x14. I think the size will be small enough to not be overwhelming, but large enough to show detail in dress and facial expression in my models. I hope to continue with the process I used last semester, in scanning the negatives and printing onto glossy paper in the digital lab. Assuming things go according to plan, I’ll have the images planned and a couple final images printed by the midterm critique.

No comments: