Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Revised Project Proposal

After much deliberation, I finally decided to focus on something completely different from the "creating food sculpture" idea.
I was inspired by an assignment from my Digital Imaging class about nostalgia, and got very excited about that project. So I decided to use that assignment as a starting point for this class.

My current project idea is this: I want to create a portrait of a specific day in my past in pictures. I have a photographic memory from a certain day during the summer of 2002 when I was 15. I was in love with someone 11 years my senior. He and I, as well as many of my extended family members, went on a rafting trip on a river together. This day remains nostalgic to me, because although I was very happy at the time, I realize now what the real circumstances were. The day was full of judgement, tension, unspoken things, and negative thoughts hid behind a facade of smiles.
My goal is to recreate various situations that occurred that day, but reshape them according to what went unspoken. I want to expose the feelings that were hidden under the surface in my photos. I plan to use my memory of the day and recreate different scenes from that day, but add the emotions that I feel now and push it to the extreme in my props and set-up...like representing feeling cold with a big pile of ice, and wearing blindfolds to show how I couldn't see the truth that day.
I have concrete ideas drawn out for the different shots already.
I want to work in both black and white as well as color, to see what works best for this project. I am going to switch between digital and medium format cameras, with some 4x5 too. I plan do do mostly self-portraiture with additional models when necessary.
I hope this makes sense...
Lily

2 comments:

Modesto Covarrubias said...

A bit unclear, but I know we talked about this already. Question: Are you trying to recreate the exact memory, or is this about a re-interpretation?

Or, are you deconstructing the memory (memories?) into the basic elements (cold, hostility, disapproval, etc.)?

Perhaps a little sketch of sorts (a written description or even a drawn stick-figure sketch) would help you (and others) make visible what you are trying to do. It's sometimes a good way to start if the idea isn't easily explained.

-M
Modesto

Liria Love said...

This is more about re-interpretation of my day rather than recreating the exact memory. I'm recreating it according to the thoughts I currently have about that day.